Some common missteps from DIY Divorces I have seen in the past:
- Not having an understanding of the phrase "fair and equitable division of assets and liabilities," or "community property," or "separate property";
- Failure to properly divide assets such as retirement accounts that necessitate a Qualified Domestic Relations Order;
- Not specifying how to remove one party from the mortgage on the family home and when it will happen;
- Failure to secure transfer of marital lien;
- Failure to spot tax implications;
- Failure to specify the duration of spousal maintenance payments;
- Failure to properly specify details in the parenting plan.